Thursday, April 9, 2020

Ataxia Profiles: Faces Of Ataxia...Krystal Schulze



     Hey, Everybody...I hope you are all doing well. In all the past Profiles, we have been introduced to several different forms of Ataxia which have all been genetic. For this week's Ataxia Profile, we will read the story of someone who has acquired Ataxia from another source. I will let Krystal tell you her story.



  

I was diagnosed with Ataxia via a brain tumor at 18, which had been slowly growing since my junior high years.  My tumor was a Juvenile Philosophic Astrocytoma which of course led to removal, and boom my Acquired Cerebellar Ataxia (ACA) was born halfway through my senior year.  I was told that mine was not progressive but later learned that it was. Approximately 20% of them are...and I won!

I was in high school and was very athletic, at the time all this went down (I use that phrase a lot cause it was a major robbery!)  Started my 14th year of softball, ran track, cross country and was on the drill team. I was also in co-op, which allowed me to work retail at 2 stores in our Outlet Mall.  I had luckily gotten to experience my junior prom a few months before. I also cherish that I received my driver’s license 6 months before and I drove my baby silver, a Chevy S10!
Of course, I don't do any of that anymore except exercise to keep from atrophy.

I have always loved anything to be creative using logic.  When I graduated, in between therapies, I taught myself HTML, Java, Dreamweaver with Dragon, and then Python.  For me, music is always key to keep me focused and productive longer. When I was 30, I was pregnant with my now 8-year-old daughter Alyssa, who is my world!  At that point, I was advised to do almost nothing. I used that time for an online college because I knew I wanted to fully be involved with my baby. So I got 2 degrees (business administration and graphic design)  Of course, everything I've mentioned above are certainly my favorite ways to keep me going!  It may sound silly but my daughter gets a kick out of playing cards or Jenga with me. It can be frustrating for sure but those fine motor skills are tested and keeps you from weak joints and atrophy of the hands. 

My disability has taught me to be kind but not to take crap from no one!  Be yourself and that will weed out those who do not accept you or let you have or express your feelings or opinions.  I certainly have the open-mindedness to listen to you. They should also listen to the other side. We will all have different opinions and ideas, in an unsure world of what we deal with, is it worth it.  We always need to preserve our energy, pick your battles wisely! 

Ataxia Awareness is something very important to me.  I have moderated several Facebook groups. First was Ataxia Planet, then Our Ataxian Lives and currently branched out trying also help people understand there many ways someone can acquire ataxia at any second.  This group is Acquired Ataxian Survivor Support.

Again my advice, We always need to preserve our energy, pick your battles wisely! 



That is a beautiful picture of you and your daughter, Krystal! Thank you for sharing yourself and your story with us. Sometimes, it is easy for us to become entrenched by our own lives and struggles...and it is nice to be reminded in those times that there are other people with experiences, difficulties, and joys in life that can be an example for us. Keep smiling, Krystal...and we will keep smiling with you.

Well, my friends, that is another Profile for the week. Stay safe everybody....
Until next time, Jason










































No comments:

Post a Comment